From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: Go ebuilds bundling multiple upstream sources
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2015 19:43:53
1 On 07/04/2015 12:32 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jul 04, 2015 at 12:19:28PM -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
3 >> On 06/30/2015 03:08 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
4 >>> The source code is where the compatibility between versions of Go is,
5 >>> not the static objects, so what if, for third-party go packages, we
6 >>> skip installing the static objects?
7 >>>
8 >>> The only down side of this would be that there might be longer rebuilds
9 >>> if the packages have multiple consumers, but it gets rid of the static
10 >>> objects.
11 >>>
12 >>> What do you think?
13 >>
14 >> I'll give real example involving go-tools. The go-tools build requires
15 >> go-net, which in turn requires go-text. If the go-net *.a files are
16 >> installed, then it is possible to build go-tools against go-net without
17 >> having go-text installed. If the go-net *.a files are not installed,
18 >> then you will have to install go-text before you can build go-tools. It
19 >> introduces an indirect build-time dependency between go-tools and go-text.
20 >
21 > Sure, but what I'm proposing is that we do not install any *.a files
22 > for Go software that is not part of dev-lang/go.
23
24 Exactly the same type of situation can arise for packages that are not
25 part of dev-lang/go. For example, if consul's static api.a library is
26 not installed, then it will introduce indirect build-time dependencies
27 for the consul-template package.
28 --
29 Thanks,
30 Zac