From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Which license?
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 19:12:07
1 On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 14:21 -0400, A. Khattri wrote:
2 >
3 > Im working on an ebuild for a package and Im not sure what license to use.
4 > The package is Copyright Company "X" but has this underneath:
7 > ## This software may be freely copied, modified and redistributed
8 > ## without fee for non-commerical purposes provided that this license
9 > ## remains intact and unmodified with any distribution.
10 > ##
11 > ## There is no warranty or other guarantee of fitness of this software.
12 > ## It is provided solely "as is". The author(s) disclaim(s) all
13 > ## responsibility and liability with respect to this software's usage
14 > ## or its effect upon hardware, computer systems, other software, or
15 > ## anything else.
16 > ##
19 > Last time I looked, there were some 800 or so files in
20 > /usr/portage/license/ - so which one would I use?
21
22 You make a new one for this package, since it specifically says,
23 "provided that this license remains intact and unmodified with any
24 distribution" which would mean their copyright information, too. Yeah,
25 it sucks, but that's life.
28 Chris Gianelloni
29 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
30 x86 Architecture Team