From: Eugenia Loli-Queru <eloli@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: faure@×××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] KDE2/3 - KOffice problems
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 20:17:14
1 But, the KOffice 1.1.1 for KDE2 _SHOULD_ have worked fine. There is a
2 problem here, and the only suggestion I get is to try a *prerelease* of
3 KOffice for KDE3. What if I want to run a stable version of KOffice? What if
4 my documents are relying in a shortcoming or even a bug on KOffice 1.1.1?
5
6 Point is, "emerge koffice" did not work as advertised, just because KDE3
7 thinks that its home dir is ~/.kde instead of ~/.kde3. We have a bug here
8 gentlemen, we cann't afford to let it slip. KOffice is just one example of a
9 KDE 2 app not working, other heavily-KPart applications will also have
10 problems with this situation.
11
12 Even if I wanted KOffice 1.2pre, I am not willing to spend another 3-4 hours
13 re-compiling all that. I did recompile KOffice twice this weekend just
14 because I thought that there was something wrong with the first compilation.
15 Is this what they say about Linux that it is free only if you have free
16 time?
17 Sorry folks, but Gentoo is now 1.0, mistakes like these should not be
18 slipped to end-users. More testing should be done before something gets up
19 to the portage app tree. That is the whole point of Portage anyway... :D
20
21 >[/etc/profile.env] Of course if you want this order to be preserved you
22 >need to
23 >get this change into portage tree. If you want to get this done, please
24 >experiment with the order (And you have to have a very clear case to
25 >convince developers)
26
27 How about this?
28 http://www.pclinuxonline.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1802
29 Textar had the same problem and he fixed it pretty much the same way. By
30 changing the order of the $PATH. At first glance it seems that the order of
31 the $PATH does not matter, but the KDE2/3 situation shows that it does
32 matter.
33
34 FYI, my Gentoo review for OSNews should be up next Monday.
35
36 Best Regards,
37 Eugenia
38
39 /me goes to edit her /etc/env.d/ dir and prays that she'll be able to fix
40 the problem by hand. :o)
41
42 ---
43 http://www.OSNews.com
46 >From: Bart Verwilst <verwilst@g.o>
47 >To: gentoo-dev@g.o
48 >Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] KDE2/3 - KOffice problems (a bit more
49 >explanation)
50 >Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 19:32:12 +0200
51 >Reply-To: gentoo-dev@g.o
52 >