From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Deadlines for next Python implementations
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2020 20:27:28
1 Hi, everyone.
2
3 I'd like to be more proactive in avoiding the mess like Python 3.6->3.7
4 switch were. For this reason, I think it would be better to set
5 and publish some early deadlines. Even if we aren't going to strictly
6 keep to them, it would help people realize how much time there is left
7 to finish the preparations.
10 Python 3.6→3.7 migration
11 ========================
12 We've already switched the profiles but there are still some unmigrated
13 packages. We will continue either migrating them or last riting if
14 migration seems unlikely to happen. Nevertheless, it is wortwhile to
15 set some final deadlines. My proposal is:
18 2020-08-01 Python 3.7 migration deadline
19
20 After this date, we lastrite all remaining packages that haven't been
21 ported. This gives people roughly two months, with a ping one month
22 from now.
23
24 2020-09-15 Python 3.6 target removal
25
26 As usual, the interpreter will be kept a bit longer, then moved to
27 ::python. This accounts for some extra time if people decide to
28 recover last rited packages last minute.
31 Python 3.7→3.8 migration
32 ========================
33 The interpreter is stable but there's still lot of migration work to be
34 done. Good news is that because of the delay with 3.7, many packages
35 are getting 3.7+3.8 or even 3.7+3.8+3.9 simultaneously, so there will be
36 less work in the future.
39 2020-07-01 Python 3.8 target stable-unmasking goal
40
41 This is not really a deadline but I'd like to aim for resolving
42 depgraph issues and stabilizing everything needed to unmask python3_7
43 target on stable. Initial set of stablereqs was filed already,
44 and we'll be unmasking the target as soon as the depgraph is clean.
45
46 2020-09-01 Python 3.8 migration warning
47
48 At this point we tell people it's about time to start actively
49 updating their packages.
50
51 2020-12-01 Python 3.8 migration deadline
52
53 We lastrite all the unmigrated packages.
54
55 2021-01-15 Python 3.7 target removal
56
57 As above.
60 Python 2.7 removal
61 ==================
62 I would like to continue removing py2.7 from packages where possible,
63 and slowly lastriting where clearly impossible. However,
64 for the remaining packages I'd like to set a hard deadline.
67 2021-01-01 Final Python 2.7 deadline
68
69 That's one year after upstream's EOL. At this point, we last rite
70 all the remaining py2.7 packages.
71
72 2021-02-15 Python 2.7 target removal
73
74 All packages relying on the target are removed. The interpreter
75 stays for as long as we need it.
78 General goal
79 ============
80 As a general goal, I'd like to set timelines like this once we decide
81 that the next interpreter goes stable. The exact lengths are highly
82 dependent on properties of the next target. For example, I suspect
83 Python 3.9 will be easier for us; so far my testing has shown issues
84 that are rather easy to solve.
87 Combined timeline
88 =================
89 From the above dates:
90
91 2.7 3.6 3.7 3.8
92 2020-07-01 | | | u py3.8 target unmasked
93 | | | |
94 2020-08-01 | m | | py3.6 pkg last rites
95 | | | |
96 2020-09-01 | | | w py3.7→3.8 migr. warning
97 2020-09-15 | x | | py3.6 pkg removal
98 | | |
99 | | |
100 | | |
101 | | |
102 | | |
103 2020-12-01 | m | py3.7 pkg last rites
104 | | |
105 2021-01-01 m | | py2.7 pkg last rites
106 2021-01-15 | x | py3.7 pkg removal
107 | |
108 2021-02-15 x | py2.7 pkg removal
109 v