From: "Lonney Harper [IS/NHL]" <lonneyh@××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Backing up your Linux Machines
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 19:17:04
1 Hi,
2
3 I actually solved my problem seconds before I was about to send this email,
4 I used winzip to untar the backup script files into a samba share on the
5 Linux server and got the errors below, I then used tar on the Linux box to
6 untar and the scripts worked.
7
8 We will only backup /home /root /var/www and /etc. We have a policy of
9 rebuilding machines from scratch and restoring the 'userdata' from tape if
10 a system has a total disk fail.... I will continue to experiment with
11 different options and have a go at restoring a complete system from tape
12 with star on the test box... but need to learn more about restoring grub n
13 stuff... actually that's a hole gray area not covered, not to worry I enjoy
14 a Linux challenge as you learn better that way :)
15
16 I didn't find Linux Tape Cert very useful, for DLT drives I couldn't find
17 anything on block size, Quantum suggest 128k or at least 64k
18
19 There is at least one error, page 20 - A simple verify: # star -tv -f
20 bs=[blocksize] /dev/nst0 should read # star -tv bs=[blocksize] -f /dev/nst0
21 ( -f is in the wrong place :)
22
23 Apart from that I found your Article extremely practical, in the past we
24 just used dump as that's what we use on our DEC Alpha's (vdump) we will most
25 likely make the change to Star for our production Linux/Samba file servers.
26 Good to see someone finally writing some decent doco for Linux, keep it up
27 :)
31 (original message)
32
33 I have been using your article on IBM dW to test as a better backup solution
34 for our Linux systems.
35
36 I am testing with RedHat Linux 7.2 (ext3fs) and a DLT TZ88 Tape drive
37 (20/40gb) we use only DLT for their robustness.
38
39 all your example commands work nice, I made one small change, a sym link
40 called /dev/tape that points to /dev/nst0, mt expects /dev/tape if you don't
41 tell it what device, saves a bit of typing when playing around.
42
43 when I try to run your backup scripts I get errors, unfortunately I not much
44 of a script wizard.
45
46 here is the output of the unmodified scripts
47
48 [root@whg-data2-t backup-tools-1.0]# ls
49 backup backup-tools.sh
50 [root@whg-data2-t backup-tools-1.0]# ./backup
51 : command not found
52 : No such file or directory
53 : command not found
54 '/backup: line 6: syntax error near unexpected token `{
55 '/backup: line 6: `bt_backup() {
56 [root@whg-data2-t backup-tools-1.0]#
59 ________________________________________________
60 Lonney Harper