From: "vivo75@×××××.com" <vivo75@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] call for testers: udev predictable network interface names
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 16:37:37
1 Il 16/01/2013 17:25, Mike Gilbert ha scritto:
2 > On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 10:19 AM, Tobias Klausmann <klausman@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Hi!
4 >>
5 >> On Tue, 15 Jan 2013, Greg KH wrote:
6 >>> So anyone who relies on network names right now to be deterministic, and
7 >>> you have more than one network device in your system, should seriously
8 >>> reconsider how they are naming their devices, as it will not work if you
9 >>> only rely on the kernel.
10 >>>
11 >>> You might have gotten "lucky" for the past 5 years, but you never know
12 >>> what could happen if you reboot today. Seriously, I've seen it happen
13 >>> all the time.
14 >> It has been rather nifty that if I walk up to a random machine
15 >> with exactly one NIC (that I've been asked to examine/fix), I
16 >> _know_ that there will be eth0 and only that.
17 >>
18 >> OTOH, maybe it's a good idea to make admins do "ip link sh" and
19 >> "ip addr sh" every time they examine a new computer -- it goes a
20 >> long way to root out wrong assumptions in that field.
21 >>
22 >> Regards,
23 >> Tobias
24 >>
25 >> PS: Do not use ifconfig. Ever. Except if there's no iproute. And
26 >> then you should only use ifconfig to enable downloading of
27 >> iproute :)
28 >>
29 > I would actually like to see iproute2 added to the system set.
30 >
31 additionally (or indipendently) I would like to see it in bin instead of
32 sbin