From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: locations of binaries and separate /usr
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 21:51:26
1 On 01/21/2012 01:34 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > Michał Górny wrote:
3 >>> It's funny how I never needed one before either but now things are
4 >>> being broken. It's not LVM that is breaking it either. I wouldn't
5 >>> need the initramfs even if It was on a regular partition until the
6 >>> recent so called "improvements."
7 >>
8 >> ...and your main argument is 'long, long ago someone decided that it
9 >> should match the same taste as mine, so it should be like it forever'.
10 >> Of course, those times there were no such thing as an initramfs...
14 > Then don't break that. Just because someone came up with a initramfs
15 > doesn't mean everyone should be forced to use one.
16
17 The old way imposes requirements that are no longer supported by
18 upstream software. So, you basically have three choices:
19
20 1) Use old software that supports the old way
21 2) Develop new software to support the old way
22 3) Use an initramfs or pre-init script to mount /usr if it must be on
23 a separate partition
24 --
25 Thanks,
26 Zac