From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New virtuals for libudev and libgudev
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 13:23:28
1 On 03/29/2014 08:58 AM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 > On 29/03/14 14:30, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
3 >> On 03/28/2014 07:53 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>> On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 5:48 PM, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina
5 >>> <zerochaos@g.o> wrote:
6 >>>> All in all, this isn't a bad idea on the surface, but the first
7 >>>> arguement shows immediately when this is scaled up. How many other
8 >>>> packages have multiple libs with different sonames? Off hand, I can
9 >>>> think of poplar, but I'm sure there must be more. Is it really
10 >>>> scalable, desirable, or sane, to break each package on the system into
11 >>>> multiple different virtuals like this?
12 >>> Clever idea, actually, though I'd be interested in whether anybody
13 >>> else can think of any unintended consequences.
14 >>>
15 >> My objection to what happened with the introduction of these virtuals
16 >> was that they directly affected eudev and yet the eudev team was not
17 >> consulted.
18 > eudev developer was contacted before any real impact on tree was made to
19 > make an ebuild-only change to build multilib libgudev like udev and systemd
20 > does
21 > at which point any objections could have been raised, instead, like
22 > expected, the version of eudev was provided to move forward, and we did
23 >
24 > so I don't agree with your assesment of not being consulted, when you were
25 >
26 Not before the decision was made to go ahead with the change. Consulting
27 means input before the decision.
30 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
31 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
32 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
33 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
34 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA