From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: qa@g.o, openrc@g.o, williamh@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] The state and future of the OpenRC project
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2014 18:20:29
1 Hello developers and users
2
3 The OpenRC project appears less active these days than it used to be.
4
5 There are many commits per month the last years, but the amount of
6 commits in 2014 per month has noticeably decreased to a crawl [1].
7 Alongside that, there appears to be around ~100 bugs open for OpenRC
8 [2] on Gentoo Bugzilla; some of which are left without a response.
9
10 This gives the impression that the development of it is slowing down.
11
12 Worth noting is that WilliamH recently had problems with his system, we
13 have since not seen him on IRC for almost a month; so, this can for a
14 part explain the last month of inactivity. Although the other months of
15 2014 and even 2013 to some extent show a decreasing trend.
16
17 The state and future of the OpenRC project could be of concern.
18
19 Therefore this call for general awareness; such that people that are
20 interested in this project can help, discuss measures to help the users
21 of these bugs as well as ensure the future of the OpenRC project.
22
23 Thank you in advance.
26 [1]: Short log of proj/openrc history, decreasing commits in 2014.
27 http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/openrc.git;a=shortlog
28
29 [2]: Overview of bugs that involve OpenRC, most for the package itself.
30 https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=openrc
33 Disclaimer: Just to be sure, I'm not affiliated with the OpenRC project.
36 With kind regards,
37
38 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
39 Gentoo Developer
40
41 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
42 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
43 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D