From: xtv@×××××.de
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] YaST will be GPL [Virus checked]
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 11:05:15
1 Hi,
2
3 just read on heise.de (http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/45773) that
4 Novell is going to release SuSE's YaST under the GPL.
5
6 Allthough most of its features are also available in other config-tools
7 like webmin, some are pretty unique - on the one hand its simple setup
8 which matches based on good default config 99% of all cases (e.g. postfix
9 setup in 3 clicks working perfect, firewall setup in 3 clicks working
10 perfect); on the other hand there are features like configuration of
11 hylafax, voicebox etc which are really easy.
12
13 I think this would be a good feature for desktop-gentoo-users which dont
14 want to be intimidated with a too much on configuration details and/or
15 missing skills to configure everything they want by webminor vi. Also you
16 could replace the rpm-support with portage-support and would have a good
17 base for a gentoo-installer.
18
19 Do you think that this would fit into the gentoo-world? Or do I have missed
20 some decision/gentoo-standards which say the way to go is eg. webmin?
21
22 Regards,
23 Thoma
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list