From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Codec project
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2020 02:18:21
1 On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 20:25:20 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > The general purpose of codec project [2] is to maintain core libraries
5 > for various multimedia format encoder/decoder libraries. It's like
6 > gfx+sound+video except only for core packages and not every possible
7 > single viewer, player, editor, frontend... I believe that this specific
8 > focus make more sense than the wider projects, i.e. it is more likely
9 > than N people will actually co-maintain libraries used by many tools vs
10 > N people co-maintain 20 alternative sound players (when they are
11 > unlikely to use more than one at a time).
12
13 Somehow I get the impression that "codec" as a scope is still too general.
14
15 For instance, people well acquainted with audio codecs aren't
16 necessarily well acquainted with video codecs, or image codecs.
17
18 A package that only does audio-playback for instance, won't be of
19 interest to somebody who predominantly cares about video playback.
20
21 I'm not entirely against it as a concept as-is, I just suspect it will
22 reiterate the previous problem.