From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] gentoo-x86 migration to repo-per-package
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2011 23:51:03
1 Paweł Hajdan, Jr. posted on Mon, 08 Aug 2011 09:51:52 -0700 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 8/8/11 7:42 AM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
4 >> Am Samstag 06 August 2011, 23:57:13 schrieb Fabio Erculiani:
5 >>> I really love the idea of being able to atomically push updates across
6 >>> multiple CPVs. This is also what KDE, GNOME, and many other teams are
7 >>> waiting for. Having multiple repos means no atomicity and at this
8 >>> point, I would rather prefer CVS (omg!).
9 >>
10 >> Exactly. This is why I would also vote for a single tree and single
11 >> modern vcs.
12 >
13 > +1 here. I'm curious what problems multiple repos would be solving, or
14 > is it just "it's cool and Fedora/other distros does it" ?
15
16 "Don't take the name of root in vain."?
17
18 Just as it's theoretically possible to run everything on a system as
19 root, but arguably, nobody sane wants or encourages that, even for single-
20 human-user systems where the user is obviously capable and trusted enough
21 to admin their own system...
22
23 ... And just as it's possible to put the entire system on a single
24 partition covering the entire disk...
25
26 ... One reasonable argument here is that the multiple repos idea splits
27 the damage potential and that it lends itself /naturally/ to security at
28 a finer grain than "all or nothing", with said security not necessarily
29 having anything to do with whether you trust the people making the
30 commits, or not, just as multiple Unix user accounts doesn't necessarily
31 have anything to do with whether you trust the human users or not.
32
33 There's certainly an appeal to that, but I too lean toward the "the
34 hassle in this case isn't worth the trouble" argument, and thus favor a
35 single all-tree repo.
40 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman