From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last rites: dev-java/oracle-{jre,jdk}-bin
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 07:57:41
1 On 18 April 2019 02:31:42 BST, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
2 >On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 3:35 PM Georgy Yakovlev <gyakovlev@g.o>
3 >wrote:
4 >>
5 >> # Georgy Yakovlev <gyakovlev@g.o> (17 Apr 2019)
6 >> # The Oracle JDK License has changed for releases starting April 16,
7 >2019
8 >> # While it may be fine to use for some usecases it's not comepletely
9 >clear
10 >> # what is considered "personal use" and if we can legally distribute
11 >it.
12 >> # License states:
13 >> # "You may not:
14 >> # make the Programs available in any manner to any third party"
15 >
16 >I don't agree with your rationale here.
17 >
18 >Gentoo does not distribute the JDK due to RESTRICT="fetch mirror" in
19 >the ebuild, so Oracle's license has no relevance.
20 >
21 >Oracle cannot prohibit us from distributing a shell script that moves
22 >some files around. That liability is on the user who runs it.
23 >
24 >We cannot force you to continue maintaining this package, but I think
25 >we should have a better reason for masking/removing it. If you cannot
26 >provide one, please just drop this to maintainer-needed.
27
28 While I was overjoyed to see this mask, this is a fair point. I had previously been under the impression that Oracle wasn't even going to provide their own builds anymore, giving way to OpenJDK, but I guess that's not the plan now, if it ever was. It doesn't seem like a very Oracle thing to do.
29 --
30 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.