From: NP-Hardass <NP-Hardass@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Package file name requirement for binary ebuilds
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 16:51:25
1 On 10/17/2016 11:09 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Mon, 17 Oct 2016 14:20:19 +0200
3 > Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >>>>>>> On Mon, 17 Oct 2016, M J Everitt wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> On 17/10/16 08:41, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
8 >>>> To be clear I would suggest at MOST 3, -bin, -ebin, and -sbin.
9 >>>> NO more.
10 >>
11 >>> I don't see what problem you are trying to solve. Gentoo is a
12 >>> source-based distro .. any binaries are a last-resort or most
13 >>> certainly should be. Having a policy may be useful, but I see no
14 >>> proposition on this thread yet?
15 >>
16 >> How about the following? I believe it is more or less the current
17 >> practice:
18 >>
19 >> "Gentoo usually builds its packages from source. Exceptionally,
20 >> a binary package can be provided instead (e.g., if upstream doesn't
21 >> provide a source) or in addition. Such packages should still follow
22 >> normal naming conventions and don't need any special suffix.
23 >
24 > I think this contradicts the next paragraph. The 'or in addition' is
25 > followed by a statement that it doesn't need any special suffix.
26 >
27 >> If a binary package is provided in addition to its source-based
28 >> equivalent, the name of the former should be suffixed with '-bin'
29 >> for distinction."
30 >
31 > I think this could collide with Chrome vs Chromium. One could call
32 > Chromium a 'source-based equivalent' of Chrome, and therefore require
33 > the '-bin' suffix even though the names do not collide.
34 >
35 > That said, I think I've seen a package somewhere using USE flags to
36 > switch between source and binary version. Such a policy would require
37 > it to change (and I approve that).
38 >
39 I think Chrome/Chromium is a special case as upstream calls their binary
40 and source based releases by different names.
43 NP-Hardass