From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: QA bikeshed: killing USE=dedicated in favor of uniform USE=client+server
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 06:40:26
1 Rich Freeman posted on Thu, 20 Aug 2015 15:56:11 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 2:03 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
4 >> On 08/20/2015 07:42 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 >>> As an alternative, we would use USE=client and USE=server along with
6 >>> proper IUSE defaults to control client & server builds appropriately.
7 >>> Both flags use positive logic, and REQUIRED_USE='|| ( client server )'
8 >>> is rather clear.
9 >>>
10 >>> Does anyone see any real problems with that?
11 >>>
12 >>>
13 >> That increases the burden of managing configuration and further abuses
14 >> REQUIRED_USE where it wasn't meant to be used in the first place.
17 > I don't think Michał is encouraging the use of REQUIRED_USE. It would
18 > only be used in cases where you could only install a client or a server,
19 > but not both. I imagine that would happen rarely, if ever.
20 >
21 > I support this approach. Lots of other client/server packages are
22 > moving in this direction, or even splitting the client/server into
23 > separate packages in some cases (I'm not suggesting making the latter
24 > mandatory).
25 >
26 > The typical game would have IUSE="+client +server" and then users could
27 > set -client if they want a dedicated server, or -server if they want a
28 > dedicated client, or whatever. It seems pretty intuitive to me.
29
30 Hasufell's arg is (as I read it) the -server -client case.
31
32 Are you saying USE="-server -client" shouldn't have a REQUIRED_USE
33 either? If not, what are you suggesting for that case?
34
35 FWIW, with IUSE defaults, the only people who should see that case are
36 those who either specifically set USE="-client -server", or those (like
37 me) using USE=-*. And in both cases, I'd say REQUIRED_USE or not, people
38 are getting /exactly/ what they ask for, and get to keep the pieces,
39 either a REQUIRED_USE message or a non-functional package, as a result.
40 IMO, that's NOTABUG. After all, games don't tend to be somewhere down
41 below the radar in the don't-care stack, like libs and toolkits, and if
42 people end up with a non-functional game package because they
43 specifically disabled both server and client, so be it.
48 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman