From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About suggesting to create a separate partition for portage tree in handbook
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 18:58:14
1 On Wed, 2012-03-28 at 11:37 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Richard Yao <ryao@×××××××××××××.edu> wrote:
3 > > On 03/28/12 03:16, Brian Dolbec wrote:
4 > >> On Tue, 2012-03-27 at 19:16 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > >>> But that's ok, because extensive studies have shown that the only possible
6 > >>> reasons for putting /usr/portage on its own partition are historical,
7 > >>> since everyone has an SSD now.
8 > >>
9 > >> Yeah, right. Since I must be the only one out there that doesn't yet
10 > >> have an SSD, you'll give me (and anyone else that still doesn't) one?
13 > > like to say that we can't start making assumptions about what hardware
14 > > people have and ignore anyone who does not fit those assumptions.
15 >
16 > Nobody doesn't like what Brian had to say. Most everybody around here
17 > including Ciaran likely agrees with him.
18 >
19 > The issue is that Ciaran said the complete opposite of what he was
20 > trying to communicate (sarcasm), and that likely due to
21 > language/culture/etc that might not have been clear to somebody who
22 > isn't a native English speaker in a western culture.
23 >
24 > The allusion was clearly to the larger udev/systemd/usr issues and the
25 > point he was making is that many of these boil down to disagreements
26 > about what use cases you consider important.
27 >
28 > So, just take everything Ciaran said in that particular post, assume
29 > he meant the exact opposite, and now you'll see where he is coming
30 > from.
31 >
32 > Yes, I do agree that sarcasm tends to cause problems on international
33 > email lists, but his post did at least make me smile. :)
34 >
35 > Rich
38 I didn't miss that his statements were sarcasm. I just failed at
39 sarcastic reply without it being clear that it was.
40
41 Sorry, Not my best work :/
44 Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>