From: Sam Jorna <wraeth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Guidelines for IUSE defaults
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2017 02:47:02
1 On Tue, Feb 07, 2017 at 09:11:20PM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 8:24 PM, Sam Jorna <wraeth@g.o> wrote:
3 > > On Tue, Feb 07, 2017 at 12:00:51PM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > >
5 > >> On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 10:14 AM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
6 > >
7 > >> > OK, can we all decide out of this thread, that if any package is
8 > >> > enabling critical functionality via IUSE-defaults (or rather, IUSE
9 > >> > defaults alone), that this be addressed through package.use.force in
10 > >> > profiles OR through removal of the flag?
11 > >>
12 > >> No.
13 > >
14 > > Can this be justified a little more?
15 > >
16 > > If a package is broken when a given flag is disabled, why is it not
17 > > acceptable to not provide the flag?
18 >
19 > Perhaps the issue is the definition of "critical functionality."
20 >
21 > I may have interpreted it differently than intended.
22 >
23 > If setting a flag one way or the other results in a package that has
24 > no useful purpose then I certainly agree that this shouldn't be a flag
25 > in the first place. When certain combinations result in
26 > non-functional packages these should be caught as well (via
27 > REQUIRED_USE), though in really complex packages with many flags this
28 > may sometimes be difficult to spot.
29 >
30 > On the other hand, I believe it should be acceptable to use IUSE
31 > defaults to configure a package to provide an ideal experience for the
32 > typical user of the package, or align with upstream. Non-upstream
33 > patches that aren't related to integration are pushing it, but merely
34 > providing an upstream-like default experience should be the goal for
35 > anybody who doesn't override this one way or the other.
36 >
37 > My brevity wasn't intended to be rude. I've just posted extensively
38 > enough in this thread and didn't want to just re-iterate my previous
39 > emails, and so so above for clarity.
40
41 Ah, this makes sense to me - IUSE defaults being a kind of soft "new to
42 Gentoo" or "minimal effort for common usage" setup, REQUIRED_USE to
43 prevent bad combinations, and package.use.force for known breakages with
44 individual flags.
45
46 Thanks for the clarification.
49 Sam Jorna (wraeth)