From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Too many kernels?
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 23:34:00
1 On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 07:22:51PM -0400, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 > # ls /usr/portage/sys-kernel -l | grep -v CVS | wc -l
3 > 44
4 >
5 > Anybody know which kernels are actually being used? Which have active
6 > maintainers? Given the goal of a quick response to kernel
7 > vulnerabilities, it seems clear that each kernel needs a redundancy of
8 > two to three people who can update handle patches when the need arises.
9 > (That doesn't mean we need 3*44 kernel devs; a high degree of
10 > overlapping would be fine.)
11
12 I am trying to slowly weed through all of these, and delete the ones
13 that are no longer needed (I did 2 last week.)
14
15 Note that a lot of these are either:
16 - arch specific
17 - patchset specific
18
19 The arch specific ones should have maintainers, the arch maintainers.
20 The patchset specific ones are (in my opinion) pretty much pointless.
21 Sure, some people like them, but it seems like a strange way to track a
22 -mm or -aa or -ck kernel using a ebuild. But that's just my opinion.
23
24 Oh, remember, those patchset specific kernels usually never get the
25 security updates that the "supported" kernels do (g-s and g-d-s).
26
27 thanks,
28
29 greg k-h