From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: sh versionator.eclass
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 10:53:24
1 On 02-10-2007 11:09:21 +0100, Roy Marples wrote:
2 > It also means that their code stands a better chance of working where
3 > bash is not available, but /bin/sh is a POSIX shell still.
4
5 I prefer to define that ebuilds (and eclasses) are dealt by GNU bash,
6 which is installed as part of the installation ritual for a Gentoo/X
7 system. I also prefer to define that all common tools ebuilds and
8 eclasses use such as cp, rm, awk, sed, find, xargs are GNU variants,
9 installed as part of the same installation ritual for a Gentoo/X system.
10 With such "definition", a Gentoo/X system without bash cannot exist.
11
12 What you use outside of the Gentoo build/package manager environment is
13 completely up to you.
16 Rationale:
17 All tools (bash, coreutils, findutils, sed, gawk) can be compiled and
18 installed on any system I know of. Their use is widespread and
19 accepted. Our primary group of people working on ebuilds and eclasses
20 (Gentoo developers) work on a Gentoo system having said tools (and only
21 those) installed, making it a logical choice.
24 I personally fail to see the advantage of using "portable" or "standards
25 compliant" code here over what we have currently. We don't force it
26 down on anyone, we only use it to install a package for you.
30 Fabian Groffen
31 Gentoo on a different level
32 --
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list