From: John Helmert III <jchelmert3@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GTK:2 EOL and incoming migration to GTK:3
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2021 15:07:41
1 On Mon, Feb 08, 2021 at 02:59:45PM +0000, Peter Stuge wrote:
2 > Hanno Böck wrote:
3 > > > "It does mean, however, that GTK 2 has reached the end of its life.
4 > > > We will do one final 2.x release in the coming days, and we encourage
5 > > > everybody to port their GTK 2 applications to GTK 3 or 4."
6 > >
7 > > I read that as there will be one more gtk2 release and none after that.
8 > >
9 > > This seems to imply:
10 > > * When there's a security flaw in gtk2 there won't be a fix from
11 > > upstream.
12 > > * When there's an incompatibility with new infrastructure (e.g. new gcc
13 > > version / new glibc / changing API of libraries gtk depends on) there
14 > > will be no updates from upstream.
15 > >
16 > > This means in all those instances maintainers will have to get patches
17 > > from somewhere. We'll likely end up with some form of
18 > > gtk-2.x-r[largenumber] with a large patchset at some point.
19 > > Maintaining that will be an increasing burden.
20 > >
21 > > No urgency, but a sign to slowly move off gtk2.
22 >
23 > Until there's a relevant flaw that will remain unfixed or there is
24 > significant incompatibility with infrastructure (recurse my argument)
25 > no signs actually exist.
26
27 Waiting until such a problem pops up and bites everyone before doing
28 anything about it doesn't sound like a good way to handle it.
31 > Assuming that there will be a significant maintenance burden which
32 > affects all uses doesn't seem rational - hence my question.
33 >
34 > The blog post shouldn't be misunderstood. The intended audience seems
35 > to be application developers, encouraging them to port applications,
36 > not so much distributions.
37
38 If an application never ports, do you expect the distribution to
39 maintain that package ad infinitum?
42 > Distributions quite often overlook that they wield much power, and
43 > thus also have much responsibility.
44 >
45 > Of course, GTK maintainers in Gentoo choose what to work on, and have
46 > made many (only?) excellent choices.
47 >
48 > I'm merely pleading for rational choices based on actual problems.
51 > //Peter