From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: pinkbyte@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: revisiting our stabilization policy
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 22:51:02
1 On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 10:20:37 +0400
2 Sergey Popov <pinkbyte@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > It can not go to no result, unless we have no breakages in stable,
5 > stable REMAINS stable. If it contains old, but working software - then
6 > it is stable.
7
8 An ebuild promoted to stable is because an arch team (or a privileged
9 maintainer to do it individually) has put a keyword in place. The
10 person that puts that keyword in place, defines that the ebuild is
11 stable at that specific point in time.
12
13 However; this does not imply that as the ebuild gets older, that this
14 doesn't come without problems; neither does it imply that the software
15 is totally working. Software is rarely completely without bugs.
16
17 > As i said earlier, problem begins when we NEED to stabilize something
18 > to prevent breakages and arch teams are slow.
19
20 Yes; there is a big correlation between breakages in old versions and
21 stabilization, in both ways.
24 With kind regards,
25
26 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
27 Gentoo Developer
28
29 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
30 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
31 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D