From: Christel Dahlskjaer <christel@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Summer of Code - worth repeating?
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 11:06:35
1 Hiya all,
2
3 Let's do a quick re-cap of Summer of Code '06:
4
5 Gentoo had 14 project slots, out of these fourteen two were on Gentoo
6 external Gentoo project which I will leave out of the re-cap.
7
8 That leaves us with twelve projects, four of which were being worked on
9 by at the time current Gentoo developers. Leaving us eight "newcomers,"
10 out of these eight four has been recruited and I belicve an additional
11 one is in the recruitment queue.
12
13 Some of the projects have been picked up and are being worked on daily,
14 some we've had problems getting acceptance for from the projects where
15 they would be most suited (Beacon - GDP), and some may have fizzled off
16 and died when SoC ended (be that because the student were no longer
17 involved and didn't feel that they were welcomed into the community
18 post-soc, or be that because it just didn't end up being a small idea
19 turned explosion).
20
21 Summer of Code 2006 was thrown together practically overnight, we jumped
22 onboard after the deadline, by pure luck, and due to lack of planning
23 ended up with whatever projects people could think up in no time and
24 what mentors felt comfortable mentoring at said time.
25
26 Based on the timeframe and having to jump into the deep end I'd say SoC
27 was a tremendous success for us, not least as a recruitment tool. And of
28 course, it feels great to put something back into the community.
29
30 Summer of Code '07 is about to kick off, those of us who participated in
31 one form or another last year are pretty geared up to do it again. This
32 time around we've got a chance to plan better, apply in time..
33
34 Should we SoC? Of course we should! Can we think up projects? Do we have
35 willing mentors? Will Google have us once more? (with feeling)
36
37 Summer of Code itself should be a lot more organised this year, OSPO has
38 put a fair chunk of work into getting things up to speed and has
39 listened to the feedback of both students and mentoring organisations
40 from last year.
41
42 -- Christel
47 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list