From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] per-runlevel make.conf settings
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 12:16:46
1 On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 01:36, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 09 November 2004 16:26, Aron Griffis wrote:
3 > > Aaron Walker wrote: [Tue Nov 09 2004, 05:26:28AM EST]
4 > >
5 > > > Comments/suggestions/flames?
6 > >
7 > > It's a lot easier to override make.conf via environment variables.
8 > > All the variables either directly override or augment when they're in
9 > > the environment.
10 >
11 > Alternatively you could use /etc/portage/bashrc
12 That's not going to fly for most feature tweaks, added, make.conf
13 defines a fair amount of python specific vars that bashrc knows nothing
14 off. Fex, doesn't do you a lot of good to be tweaking
15 FEATURES="userpriv" in bashrc- the bash process is already running as
16 root at that point.
17
18 Using a wrapper around emerge to swap in/change symlink on
19 /etc/make.conf, or add init scripts to each run level that swap in/out
20 the desired make.conf makes sense, although I'm not much for making it
21 official. I don't think many people would make use of it, added, it
22 makes emerge --info potentially misleading.
23
24 Doesn't mean you can't run it locally however :)
25 ~brian
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list