From: Joe Peterson <lavajoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 55
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 16:36:36
1 Richard Freeman wrote:
2 > Some object to parsing out the EAPI without sourcing the ebuild (only
3 > bash can source bash). I disagree with this argument - every time you
4 > run a shell script it is sourced by something other than bash - the
5 > kernel has to figure out what script interpreter to use by parsing the
6 > first line. There is no reason we can't use a magic number in the same
7 > way with the EAPI. That isn't reason enough on its own to put the EAPI
8 > in the filename, but it is a start.
9
10 +1
11
12 It was mentioned that "comments are to be ignored", but you point out a
13 perfect and very fundamental example of where this is not true:
14
15 #!/usr/bin/env bash
16
17 Putting another line close to this one with:
18
19 #EAPI=42
20
21 or
22
23 #!EAPI=42
24
25 if you like (conforms more to the shell script specifier), is not too
26 muchh of a stretch.
27
28 > Most software packages store version information internal to a file
29 > format. I'm actually not aware of many that put it in the filename.
30
31 Only a few, mainly Windows, I believe. Like .WSn (as pointed out on the
32 Filename_extension wikipedia page). But oddballs like this suggest to
33 me that a hack had to be done because the version could not be gleaned
34 in a more subtle way from the file itself (e.g. MS Word does this
35 transparently - all are ".doc").
36
37 -Joe
38 --