From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last rites: games-rpg/nwn-shadowlordsdreamcatcherdemon
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2017 20:42:41
1 On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 4:36 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > W dniu czw, 07.09.2017 o godzinie 06∶21 -0700, użytkownik Rich Freeman
3 > napisał:
4 >> On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 6:04 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
5 >> > > > > > > On Thu, 7 Sep 2017, Rich Freeman wrote:
6 >> >
7 >> > Don't you think there is a difference between downloading a package
8 >> > that has a known upstream and that is also carried by other distros,
9 >> > and downloading a license-less package from a random location on the
10 >> > internet?
11 >>
12 >> Most upstreams do not do much checking about the ownership of their sources.
13 >>
14 >> Gentoo certainly doesn't - we don't even require developers to submit a DCO.
15 >>
16 >> Other projects like the Linux kernel require signing a DCO for each
17 >> commit, but do not do any checking beyond this. I have no doubt that
18 >> they would remove offending sources if they were contacted, but they
19 >> do not actively go out and confirm authorship.
20 >>
21 >> >
22 >> > > > The package in question doesn't come with any license though, which
23 >> > > > means that only the copyright holder has the right to distribute
24 >> > > > it. So I believe that some extra care is justified, especially when
25 >> > > > the upstream location of the distfile has changed.
26 >> > > Why? We don't redistribute anything that is copyrighted.
27 >> >
28 >> > Users download the file, and I think that we are responsible to have
29 >> > only such SRC_URIs in our ebuilds from where they can obtain the
30 >> > package without being exposed to potential legal issues.
31 >>
32 >> I'm not aware of any court rulings that have found downloading
33 >> something like this to be illegal.
34 >>
35 >> >
36 >> > > Perhaps if we want to enforce a policy like this we should take the
37 >> > > time to actually write the policy down. As far as I can tell Gentoo
38 >> > > has no such policy currently.
39 >> >
40 >> > The old Games Ebuild Howto [1] has this:
41 >> >
42 >> > > LICENSE
43 >> > >
44 >> > > The license is an important point in your ebuild. It is also a
45 >> > > common place for making mistakes. Try to check the license on any
46 >> > > ebuild that you submit. Often times, the license will be in a
47 >> > > COPYING file, distributed in the package's tarball. If the license
48 >> > > is not readily apparent, try contacting the authors of the package
49 >> > > for clarification. [...]
50 >> >
51 >> > I propose to add the paragraph above to the devmanual's licenses
52 >> > section.
53 >> >
54 >>
55 >> We already know there isn't a license for redistribution. This
56 >> doesn't speak about requiring us to ensure that those distributing our
57 >> source files have the rights to do so. It merely says to check the
58 >> license. We understand the license already. I don't see how this
59 >> paragraph pertains to this situation.
60 >
61 > AFAIK you're a developer. So if you want to keep this package, then
62 > please do the needful and take care of it yourself instead of
63 > complaining and demanding others to do the work you want done.
66 Are you saying it is sufficient to just point the SRC_URI at the new
67 URL and remove the mask? As far as I can tell that is all that needs
68 to be done. Per the policy the license is readily apparent, so there
69 is no need to contact the authors.
72 Rich