From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: summary: proposed solutions to arches/stable problem
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 11:48:30
1 Aron Griffis posted <20040624045157.GH18367@××××××××××××××××.org>,
2 excerpted below, on Thu, 24 Jun 2004 00:51:57 -0400:
3
4 > Jason Huebel wrote: [Tue Jun 22 2004, 09:06:29PM EDT]
5 >> Another possible solution that hasn't been considered is adding another
6 >> variable to ebuilds, like so:
7 >>
8 >> STABLE="yes"
9 >
10 > Not a bad suggestion. The only thing I don't like is adding another
11 > variable. But perhaps it's better than the other options presented so
12 > far. I'll consider this in my next round-up. Thanks. :-)
13
14 What about namespace pollution? Theoretically, some make file somewhere
15 might use something that generic.
16
17 What about something like gStable=yes, or GENSTABLE=yes? These make it
18 *FAR* more unlikely there'll be an accidental namespace collision.
19
20 Also, are we going to support the general boolean (or tristate, if one
21 includes no mark) flexibility of yes/true/1 vs no/false/0? Or will it
22 HAVE to be "yes" or "no"?
23
24 ...
25
26 I'm not a Gentoo dev (yet, possibly documentation at some point.. someone
27 mentioned I might be good at it.. and I DID check the Gentoo development
28 policy and social contract first thing as I began to investigate Gentoo,
29 because I intend to be active wherever I'm at, and I'm moving to Gentoo
30 now), and not particularly good at development per se either, but not
31 considering namespace pollution in a case such as this just seems to go
32 against everything I've ever learned on the subject, and given that I was
33 recently reading comments in the xorg ebuild indicating a similar problem
34 with it (probably as XFree86) at one point (MAKE_OPTS with or without the
35 _), using Gentoo namespace specific env-vars should be a basic policy.
39 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
40 temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --
41 Benjamin Franklin
46 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list