From: "Marty E. Plummer" <hanetzer@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Idea for a new project: gentoo-libs
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2018 00:05:02
1 On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 07:59:47AM +0200, Hanno Böck wrote:
2 > On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 21:50:50 -0500
3 > "Marty E. Plummer" <hanetzer@×××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > > So, as you may be aware I've been doing some work on moving bzip2 to
6 > > an autotools based build. Recently I've ran into app-crypt/mhash,
7 > > which is in a semi-abandoned state (talking with the maintainer on
8 > > twitter atm), and I was thinking it may be a good idea to set up a
9 > > project for keeping these semi-abandoned and really-abandoned
10 > > libraries and projects up to date and such.
11 >
12 > This is a common problem, however if you want to make this reasonable
13 > you wouldn't make it a gentoo thing, but a cross-distro effort. The
14 > idea has been tossed around a lot, but noone yet started implementing
15 > it.
16 >
17 > However keeping things alive may not always be the right option.
18 > There's a reason mcrypt is abandoned. It's an ancient crypto library,
19 mhash, not mcrypt. I've not loked at mcrypt at all yet, so I have no
20 ideas as to its status.
21 > crypto is moving forward, there are better options. THe main user of
22 > mcrypt was PHP, and PHP is abandoning it with 7.2. (There are 2 other
23 > users in the gentoo tree of libmcrypt, which are both rather obscure
24 > packages - nsca and elettra.)
25 >
26 > --
27 > Hanno Böck
28 > https://hboeck.de/
29 >
30 > mail/jabber: hanno@××××××.de
31 > GPG: FE73757FA60E4E21B937579FA5880072BBB51E42
32 >