From: Joshua Nichols <nichoj@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Sowing the seeds of a warconfig tool
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 06:11:27
1 m h wrote:
2 > Like I said, if you are interested in manipulating wars from ant or
3 > maven perhaps cargo is for you. I'm assumming this is more of the
4 > programmer/qa type person who wants this sort of functionality. My
5 > end user is a sys-admin. They are usually more comfortable from the
6 > command line.
7 >
8 > I've updated my caveats section
9 > (http://developer.spikesource.com/wiki/index.php/Article:Warconfig )
10 > with Cargo information.
11 >
12 Disclaimer: I'm familar with cargo because we use it at work, but not
13 intimately so, because I haven't been involved with the implementation
14 and whatnot.
15
16 My impressions of cargo is that it is supposed to be pretty container
17 agnostic. You mostly point it at a host, with username, password, etc,
18 and it'll deploy the app for you. This would be pretty nice, since you
19 wouldn't have to worry about the implementation details of where webapps
20 should live. Additionally, you could use it to build wars on one
21 machine, and deploy them remotely without much trouble.
22
23 So if the issue that there isn't a command line interface, perhaps it is
24 worth writing? Also, we could probably write a generic ant script, and
25 provide a scripted frontend for it to make it dynamic.
28 Joshua Nichols
29 Gentoo/Java Project Lead
30 --
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list