From: Doug Klima <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] extend profiles.desc to include "experimental" profiles
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 14:59:36
1 Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > after dealing with m68k, mips, and the *-fbsd ports, i think we could do with
3 > a new state for profiles.desc. the new field would simply be "exp" to
4 > indicate that the profile is experimental and that qa tools should generally
5 > not issue warnings about them. so in repoman's default mode, you wouldnt get
6 > any warnings, but if you were to run it in full mode, you'd see stuff like
7 > normal. this is useful for new projects which are still in the process of
8 > merging (like *-fbsd, m68k, and any new hardware i get my hands on) and are
9 > not really ready for "dev" marking. there are plenty of warnings in packages
10 > right now due to these profiles being labeled as "dev" that are the sole
11 > problem of the keyword maintainer in question and not the package maintainer.
12 > -mike
13 >
14 I've very much been a proponent of properly listing out all of our
15 profiles in profiles.desc. This sounds very reasonable and logical. And
16 hopefully if the tools in question are coded properly, it should be
17 compatible with older versions until users upgrade.
18
19 Good stuff Mike.
22 Doug Klima
23 Gentoo Developer