From: Christian Faulhammer <opfer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: MAKEOPTS settings
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 18:01:12
1 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>:
2
3 > > Ok, so the latter saves me from repeating all standard functions
4 > > with emake -j1. Thanks.
5 > sorry, i'll be a bit more specific ... the reason appending MAKEOPTS
6 > has been sliding is due to the large volume of gnome ebuilds and
7 > integrated eclasses ... it isnt trivial to pass that information
8 > along since the emake happens in nested eclasses, so MAKEOPTS gets
9 > incremented in the ebuild
10
11 It is an ebuild based on gnome.eclass, so it hits your case. :)
12
13 > if you're doing it to avoid -j1 in like two calls to emake, that's
14 > poor taste :p
15
16 I did not want to repeat whole gnome.eclass definitions.
17
18 > also, any package that fails -j1 building should have an open bug
19 > about it ... parallel building isnt something to be workedaround with
20 > -j1 and then ignored as it can severely screw people (consider
21 > systems that have a crap ton of slow procs -- common for mips people)
22
23 That software is from 2005 and I can't help it as I was doing arch
24 maintenance, maintainers were not reacting => not my beer anymore.
25
26 V-Li
29 Christian Faulhammer, Gentoo Lisp project
30 <URL:http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-lisp on FreeNode
31
32 <URL:http://www.faulhammer.org/>