From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Reverse use of Python/Ruby versions
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2017 16:16:17
1 Not sure if this is practical, it may be less work if the use of
2 Python and Ruby versions ( maybe others ) is reversed. Rather than
3 adding all the versions that the ebuild supports. What if it only
4 included versions it did not support?
5
6 Rational
7 When new versions are added. Ebuilds must be updated to support the new
8 version. This can require editing a decent amount of ebuilds. Many may
9 work fine with the new version. Making this extra needless work. From a
10 user point of view, You cannot move to the newer version without
11 keeping older around till all are updated to the newer version.
12
13 Now one could say its the same work to mark versions not supported. But
14 I think there is less of that. Also if something supports and older
15 version and not newer, it may stand out more failing. Requiring someone
16 to reduce to the older version, and maybe filing bugs to get it updated
17 to the newer version.
18
19 Python 2.7 stuff aside. I am not sure how many Python and Ruby packages
20 break with a newer release. In pythons case I think once they support
21 Python 3.x, there is little chance if it breaking with further 3.x
22 releases. Not sure about Ruby.
23
24 I could be very wrong and the present way of doing things being the
25 only way. However if this is feasible it may lead to less work. It
26 would allow all packages to move to a newer version. Also allowing
27 punting of older sooner. This leaves the versions solely up to the
28 eclasses. Then ebuilds simply mark the unsupported versions. Just like
29 we do now with adding versions it does support.
30
31 Which if something was say only Python 2.7. It would have a >= to
32 excluded any newer version of Python. That said, we could do the same
33 with the current way. Saying this supports Python/Ruby >=SLOT.
34
35 Either way I do not think the current way is the best way. You have to
36 add every version/slot to ebuilds that work fine with any version. When
37 new ones are added, the ebuild has to be touched again. When it may
38 work fine with a new version without requiring the ebuild to be
39 modified.
40
41 This came up with some stuff requiring ruby23 as I moved to 24. Looking
42 around some stuff has Python 3.5 some 3.6, but all 3.4. So I will stick
43 to 3.4 till everything is at 3.6. Otherwise no point and still have
44 other versions.
45
46 The approach mentioned above, if the packages do not have issue. I
47 could go ahead and switch to ruby24 and pyton 3.6 across the board.
48 Which I cannot do now till a bunch of ebulids have their targets
49 increased.
52 William L. Thomson Jr.