From: Scott Howell <showell@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Linux distro
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 21:38:11
1 Hello, my name is Scott Howell and I am a blind computer user.
2 I currently am using Debian and have used Slackware in the past. What
3 allows me to use Linux is a wonderful app that is patched into the
4 kernel called Speakup. Speakup is a screen review application that gives
5 verbalized output via a number of supported speech synthesizers. You can
6 learn more about Speakup at http://linux-speakup.org.
7
8 Slackware currently ships Speakup enabled kernels and hopefully Debian
9 and RedHat will follow. The neat thing with SPeakup is that the kernel
10 can be patched, but no defualt synth selected allowing the user to boot
11 the kernel and at a Lilo prompt typed something like
12
13 linux speakup_synth=ltlk or a pre-defined four letter synth identifer
14 and have a talking kernel. THis is great for doing installs and so forth
15 and yes soon an accessible version of Gnome is going to follow.
16
17 So, I was wondering if I could interest you good folk into including or
18 considering the inclusion of Speakup into your distro. I think it would
19 really show folks that you all are willing to offer access to your
20 distribution. I for one would love to grab a copy and play with it.
21
22 I might just fall in love and run it on my machines here. Afterall, the
23 description certainly has me slobbering. I like the package management
24 of Debian, but there's room for even better management means and tools
25 ay?
26 I am still kinda a novice of Linux, but will gladdly work to make a
27 talking install cd if you'd like. Actually just by adding the ability to
28 type a command as I showed above would really do the job and patch that
29 kernel with Speakup.
30
31 I'd really like to hear from you and also where is it best to grab an
32 iso that I could look over.
33
34 Thanks,
35 Scott Howell