From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FYI clarifications to skel.ebuild EAPI usage
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 06:03:10
1 On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 22:14:47 -0600
2 RB <aoz.syn@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > non-system packages, the only thing stopping people from using
4 > > EAPI 1 where useful is ludditism.
5 >
6 > While most of us appreciate your desire to move forward, ad-hominem
7 > attacks (however subtle) really only serve to damage your point.
8
9 You're aware that that's not his real name, right?
10
11 > That said, this is the typical developer-wants-shiny-object,
12 > engineering-wants-stability drama played out day after day in
13 > corporations worldwide, and nothing ever gets solved until someone
14 > puts up.
15
16 The stability issues, or lack there-of, in EAPI 1 are well understood
17 by those of us who were behind deciding what went into EAPI 1. There is
18 no issue with using EAPI 1 where appropriate for non-system packages.
19 EAPI 1 is a small, well defined, well understood set of additions to
20 EAPI 0.
21
22 > Please - for the rest of the community's sake, get over
23 > yourselves and your high ideals and spend some of this energy doing
24 > something positive. Like pushing for ratification/completion of
25 > EAPI=0 so none of you have room to complain.
26
27 Really, ratification of EAPI 0 doesn't affect any of this. It makes no
28 more sense to say that we can't use EAPI 1 until EAPI 0 is ratified
29 than it does to say that we can't use EAPI 0 until EAPI 0 is ratified.
32 Ciaran McCreesh