From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: USE=libav as replacement for broken || ( libav:= ffmpeg:= )
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 09:12:10
1 On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 01:01:41 -0800
2 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 01/20/2015 12:13 AM, Alexis Ballier wrote:
5 > > On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 20:31:45 +0100
6 > > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
7 > >> 2. Subslots work correctly. Rebuilds are forced when the chosen
8 > >> library is upgraded. Moreover, USE flag change causes a rebuild
9 > >> when user decides to change the ffmpeg provider.
12 > > No offense, but this argument is complete crap. You should rather
13 > > fix portage bugs than propose to introduce tree-wide changes to
14 > > hide them... More precisely: || ( a:= b c:= d ) is perfectly
15 > > defined (in the "what it means" sense, not in PMS sense). When the
16 > > package is built, if 'a' is satisfied then a (and its subslot) is
17 > > added to the subslot list of the package; ditto for c. You end up
18 > > with a list of subslot deps, that you can store in vdb or whatever,
19 > > and use that to decide when to rebuild the package.
20 >
21 > That's an interesting proposal, but I immediately find myself
22 > questioning how closely it models reality. For example, maybe the
23 > package links to both the a:= package and c:= package, or maybe just
24 > to one of them. Shouldn't our model match reality as closely as
25 > possible, as long as it's practical?
26
27 Do you have any such example ?
28
29 I think we can only make the safest assumption. Even without subslot,
30 if you consider this: || ( a b c d ), with a and c installed but
31 package automagically deciding to use only a, how can a PM decide
32 whether it is safe to remove a or not after the package has been
33 merged ?
34
35 Alexis.