From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC v2: news item for the 17.0 profiles
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 22:55:43
1 Am Mittwoch, 11. Oktober 2017, 06:41:06 CEST schrieb Walter Dnes:
2 >
3 > 1) Will 6.3.0 be skipped for stabilization?
4
5 Yes.
6
7 (Actually I'd prefer to drop it yesterday, but didn't manage to wake up enough
8 toolchain team members for that.)
11 > 2) If someone decides to override and set "-pie" in USE, will their
12 > current systems continue to function?
13
14 Yes.
15
16 (Though technically if you override masked/forced flags you lose your warranty.
17 :)
18
19 Depending on your system the fallout from 1) switching pie on and 2) *not*
20 rebuilding *world* *may* be rather small. You'll get some spurious link
21 errors, especially when static libraries are involved, and may have to
22 manually rebuild dependencies. If you're willing to deal with that (and
23 promise not to file bugs) ...
24
25 > On a new install I'll go with
26 > the default, but "emerge -e" takes a long time on my current machine.
27 > It's an ancient 2008 CORE2 with 3 gigs of ram, but it works fine for
28 > me, including Youtube 1080P streaming.
32 Andreas K. Hüttel
33 dilfridge@g.o
34 Gentoo Linux developer (council, perl, libreoffice)