From: jim <jim@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [ANNOUNCE] bayesiam SPAM filter 'bogofilter' ebuild on bugzilla
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 21:13:36
1 I've been working on making postfix and bogofilter play together.
2 I think it's working good enough to tell how I did it. I don't have procmail
3 installed, so this is how I use bogofilter without it. This is on a
4 mailserver that handles mail for a small number of users.
5
6 1. Get postfix installed and running properly.
7
8 2. Get bogofilter installed and running properly from the command line.
9
10 3. Create a user, I used 'filter' as a username. This user should not be
11 able to log in, but does need a home directory. I used '/home/filter'.
12
13 4. Put the bogofilter executable in /usr/sbin
14
15 5. Put the following script in /usr/sbin
16
17 #!/bin/bash
18
19 export PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin
20 export HOME=/home/filter
21 cd $HOME
22
23 bogofilter -p | sendmail -i "$@"
24
25 6. In the master.cf configuration file for postfix, find the line that looks
26 like:
27
28 smtp inet (some other stuff) smtpd
29
30 and add this line after it.
31
32 -o content_filter=filter:
33
34 Be sure to include the ':' at the end of the line.
35
36 7. Append these lines to the end of the master.cf file:
37
38 filter unix - n n - - pipe
39 user=filter argv=/usr/sbin/filtermail -f ${sender} -- ${recipient}
40
41 8. Do a 'postfix reload'.
42
43 9. Now, anything bogofilter recognizes as spam will have a header that looks
44 like:
45
46 X-Spam-Status: Yes, tests=bogofilter
47
48 and anything it doesn't think is spam will look like:
49
50 X-Spam-Status: No, tests=bogofilter
51
52 10. Even though bogofilter is now filtering your email. It doesn't know what
53 to look for to distinguish spam from real email. Create two other mail
54 accounts, one for spam and one for non-spam. Anytime you receive spam that
55 bogofilter doesn't catch, forward it to the spam address. Anytime you
56 receive good mail that bogofilter thinks is spam, forward it to the non-spam
57 address. Periodically, log on to the mail server and go to the directory
58 where the spam mails are. 'su' as the user 'filter' and do a 'cat * |
59 bogofilter -s'. Delete all the spam files. Then go to the directory where
60 the good emails are and do a 'cat * | bogofilter -h'. Then delete all the
61 good emails. Hopefully, the performance of bogofilter improves over time.
62
63 Bogofilter has a bug where the last line is sometimes duplicated using the
64 '-p' option.
65
66 Jim Duey
67 Intensive Systems Consulting, LLC
68 Consulting for Embedded Linux and Industrial Controls
72 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list