From: Antoni Grzymala <awaria@××××××××××.pl>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [Gentoo Phoenix] an official Gentoo wiki
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 16:54:37
1 Ben de Groot dixit (2010-04-04, 14:31):
2
3 > On 4 April 2010 10:48, Antoni Grzymala <awaria@××××××××××.pl> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > Has anyone considered the immensely powerful twiki?
6 >
7 > No. So tell us why we should. Specifically, how does it compare to
8 > MediaWiki in terms of features and performance?
9
10 I don't have any particular claims on performance at hand. TWiki stores
11 the data in plaintext files which may or may not be beneficial depending
12 on various scenarios, the code is very mature but that of course does
13 not say anything on whether the performance is good or not compared to,
14 say, MediaWiki. Here [1] is a reasonably recent writeup on TWiki's
15 performance.
16
17 As to the features, I (contrary to sebastian in an earlier answer) quite
18 like the syntax, I think it's a bit more comfortable the MediaWiki in
19 popular scenarios.
20
21 There's a good ACL system, it's got an integrated ticket system, a
22 mobile-version plugin, and I too think the whole concept of Webs is
23 neat. The search system is extensive and includes regex searching.
24
25 And yeah, it's not PHP :) (no flame intended™)
26
27 [1] http://www.twiki.net/blog_2008-03-25.html
30 [a]