From: Steev Klimaszewski <steev@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Assigning keyword/stable bugs to arch teams (WAS: [gentoo-dev] dropping redundant stable keywords)
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 01:49:28
1 On Sun, 2014-02-16 at 09:03 -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 3:41 AM, Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Also, keeping the bugs assigned to package maintainers will still allow
4 > > them to try to get that pending bugs fixed (or resolved in some way) as
5 > > they will take care more about that specific package status. If we get
6 > > that bugs assigned to arch teams, they will likely be ignored by both
7 > > parts, getting worse.
8 >
9 > Well, that depends on your perspective. If they fix them by deleting
10 > the old version, then whether they've made things better or worse is a
11 > matter of philosophy.
12 >
13 > That's basically the counter-argument to removing old versions. If
14 > the newer version doesn't work at all, then the old buggy version is
15 > superior. It is better to have the bugs ignored, than to pester the
16 > maintainer until the package is disabled entirely.
17 >
18 > Honestly, this whole conversation seems rather theoretical. What I
19 > haven't heard from is the minor arch leads. Actually, looking at the
20 > base project page, it seems like half of them don't even have leads.
23 Minor arch co-lead checking in. I haven't chimed in as I'm still pretty
24 agitated with the PREVIOUS thread about this exact same topic. And by
25 agitated, I mean I'm tired of it. If you guys wanna break the tree for
26 us minor arches, go for it. It's obvious from the thread that people
27 care not about making Gentoo the best distro that it can be, and
28 entirely care about how pretty the graphs are, and how short their bug
29 lists are. I'm tired of "fighting" about this. My position was made
30 known, some agreed, some disagreed, but reiterating it over and over
31 does nothing, and no new information is brought in by it. If you want
32 to re-read it, feel free to read through the previous thread.
33
34 > The other issue is that at least some devs have been stabilizing new
35 > packages on minor archs for which the council decided to drop stable
36 > keywords. How to handle that is on the next agenda as well.
37 >
38 > Basically all of this boils down to whether it is a good compromise to
39 > redefine "stable" to something different on minor archs so that they
40 > can make some use of the keyword, and do it without driving
41 > maintainers nuts. I don't have a big problem with that, as long as it
42 > is done in a way that doesn't place any burden on anybody who doesn't
43 > use the minor arch (including bug wranglers, maintainers, etc).
44 >
45 > Rich
46 >