From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reminder: ALLARCHES
Date: Wed, 04 May 2016 15:41:55
1 On 04/05/16 02:01 AM, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On 4 May 2016 at 16:46, Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Having built many stages for an "unstable" arch (mips) has taught me
4 >> one thing: it's awful being unstable-only. There's no end to the
5 >> compilation failures and other such headaches, none of which have
6 >> anything at all to do with the specific architecture.
7 >>
8 >> Short of adding a middle level ("stable, wink wink nudge nudge") where
9 >> things at least compile, I think the current situation is actually
10 >> significantly better than the alternative of dropping them to
11 >> unstable.
12 >
13 > I feel like there needs to be something inbetween, a mechanism where
14 > things can be deemed "tentatively stable", where in they can still be
15 > later destabilized if evidence compels it.
16 >
17 > As it is, stabilization seems one-directional. If critical defects are
18 > found in "stable" releases, they tend not to escalate in the other
19 > direction.
20 >
21 > And I understand why that is, but it doesn't stop me wishing otherwise.
22 >
23 > But instead of adding a rung between stable and unstable ... maybe the
24 > right approach is to add a layer /beneath/ stable : "Long term
25 > stable".
26 >
27 > Where long-term stable is "Known to be good at a deep and thorough
28 > level by people who use the software regularly".
29 >
30 > Long-term stable at this point is not something I'd suggest people set
31 > as their keywords in general, but it would be a thing that would only
32 > be granted to specific packages on a case-by-case basis, and it would
33 > only be encouraged to be used in the sense of
34 > /etc/portage/package.keywords , where mixing long-term stable and
35 > stable would be "supported" ... somehow.
36 >
37 > IDK, there's still a lot wrong with my ideas, but hopefully there's
38 > some ball here to run with.
43 Rather than adding a third layer of stability and splitting the
44 userbase even further, how about we just be less shy about dropping
45 stable keywords on packages back to ~arch when we have bugs that can't
46 be resolved quickly? I know this isn't ideal given everyone --sync's
47 at different times and varying intervals, but if a particular ebuild
48 gets stabilized on an arch and is found to really not be ready at
49 least there's a recourse to undo the stabilization and stop -some-
50 users from getting the new version via their -uDN @world updates.
51
52 What might we need in terms of better PM support, for stable -> ~arch
53 keywording?