From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Are tags just sets?
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 12:48:59
On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 10:00:43 +0100
Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 10:54:44 +0200 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote: > > > I'm highly doubtful that there's any real need for different kinds > > > of repository-provided sets. We especially don't want sets to be > > > code... > > > > Simple things like getting a list of packages which own a particular > > file (for rebuilds) or grepping a variable are useful to users. > > That's something done by sets as provided by the package mangler, not > something done by repository-specified sets.
So we should provide separate copies of the same sets for each package mangler?
> > For example, the x11 overlay provides a set to rebuild the xorg > > server modules after an update. > > That's just a list of package specs. The user then says "only the ones > of these that I have installed" by the way the set is used.
Well, I think a simple specification saying 'all installed packages which install to /usr/lib/foo' is much simpler to write and maintain than a random number of package names. -- Best regards, Michał Górny

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] Are tags just sets? Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>