From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: pr@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] newsitem: k8s split packages returning round 2
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2020 21:57:31
1 On Sun, Oct 04, 2020 at 10:23:10PM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2020-10-04 at 14:48 -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > Title: K8s Split Packages Returning
4 >
5 > I think you should really use the full name here, especially that it is
6 > also the package name.
7
8 This is fixed.
11 > > Author: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
12 > > Posted: 2020-10-06
13 > > Revision: 1
14 > > News-Item-Format: 2.0
15 > > Display-If-Installed: sys-cluster/kubernetes
16 > >
17 > > Due to bug #741572,, the k8s split packages are returning to fix issues
18 > > with upgrading clusters [1].
19 >
20 > It would be nice to include a short explanation what these issues are.
21 > Expecting all affected users to open Bugzilla just to see whether
22 > the bug in question is relevant causes them unnecessary work.
23
24 The short version is it is not possible to upgrade a cluster if you have
25 everything in one package.
26
27 > > Starting with k8s 1.17.12, 1.18.9 and 1.19.2, you will need to install
28 > > the following packages in the appropriate configuration for your
29 > > cluster.
30 > >
31 > > sys-cluster/kubeadm
32 > > sys-cluster/kube-apiserver
33 > > sys-cluster/kube-controller-manager
34 > > sys-cluster/kubectl
35 > > sys-cluster/kubelet
36 > > sys-cluster/kube-proxy
37 > > sys-cluster/kube-scheduler
38 > >
39 > > Once the split packages are stabilized, sys-cluster/kubernetes will be
40 > > masked and removed.
41 >
42 > Why not make it a metapackage, and maybe have USE flags to assist common
43 > configurations?
44
45 I've thought about that, and I'm not opposed to meta packages. I'm just
46 not sure yet which pieces are required where. I know you don't need all
47 of the pieces to run a cluster. I'm just not sure which pieces are
48 required on which nodes.
49
50 I don't think it would be one kubernetes meta package, but several
51 depending on the type of node you are setting up.
52
53 William