From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: cbergstrom@×××××××××.com, Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] How to support C++11 in libraries?
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 08:35:31
1 Dnia 2013-12-19, o godz. 15:28:46
2 "C. Bergström" <cbergstrom@×××××××××.com> napisał(a):
3
4 > On 12/19/13 03:20 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > Dnia 2013-12-19, o godz. 00:56:31
6 > > "C. Bergström" <cbergstrom@×××××××××.com> napisał(a):
7 > >
8 > >> On 12/19/13 12:47 AM, Kent Fredric wrote:
9 > >>> On 19 December 2013 06:33, Jan Kundrát <jkt@g.o> wrote:
10 > >>>> I'm worried by the cost of such a policy, though, because we would suddenly
11 > >>>> have to patch some unknown amount of software
12 > >>> Given the nature that changing that CXX Flag globally for all users
13 > >>> could cause many packages to spontaneously fail to build, wouldn't
14 > >>> that imply that changing that flag would essentially be de-stabilizing
15 > >>> the whole tree, and a package being (arch) would no longer be an
16 > >>> indication of sane, tested behaviour?
17 > >>>
18 > >>> This is really the perk of the USE driven process, the granular
19 > >>> piecemeal approach that does only as much as necessary, without
20 > >>> changing things that are already stable.
21 > >> In practice wouldn't that mean you'd have to add c++11 USE flag to every
22 > >> C++11 application and lib?
23 > > No. Only the libs that change their ABI in C++11.
24 > >
25 > >> "Best case" both build and you end up with a linker problem (can be
26 > >> worked around with compiler patches)
27 > >> /usr/lib64/libboost.so
28 > >> /usr/lib64-c++11/libboost.so
29 > > What's wrong with this solution:
30 > >
31 > > 1. distro-specific compiler patching is wrong,
32 > Pragmatically, this needs to be upstream and should have been there
33 > already. Get some feedback to see if gcc people are receptive to the
34 > idea before testing a gentoo-only patch. If they accept it upstream -
35 > backport it. If they tell you f* off - get their feedback on how to deal
36 > with it - more below.
37 >
38 > (this is not a gentoo only problem - this discussion should happen on a
39 > more global level...)
40
41 And how is this an issue to the major distributions? Binary distros can
42 do a simple switch with standard all-package upgrade and forget about
43 it. Like they usually do. Only people who built from sources have to
44 think about it.
45
46 > > 2. kinda FHS deviation, at least in spirit of lib<qual> directory.
47 > >
48 > > We could go with '-L' but this is very fragile anyway. It's *very easy*
49 > > for the compiler to link the 'wrong' library due to -L/usr/lib64 being
50 > > added by some kind of foo-config.
51 > -L would likely mean you also need -nostdlib to make it work - which is
52 > more hacky than the above. pretty please don't do this.. pleeeeaassse
53
54 What? I have no idea what you're trying to accomplish but this seems
55 out of the scope of the problem.
58 Best regards,
59 Michał Górny