From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: aballier@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: switching default udev provider for new systems to udev
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2020 16:49:44
1 On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 05:47:52PM +0200, Alexis Ballier wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA256
4 >
5 > On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 13:51:41 -0500
6 > William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
7 >
8 > > All,
9 > >
10 > > I would like to propose that we switch the default udev provider on
11 > > new systems from eudev to udev.
12 > >
13 > > This is not a lastrites, and it will not affect current systems since
14 > > they have to migrate manually. Also, this change can be overridden at
15 > > the profile level if some profile needs eudev (the last time I
16 > > checked, this applies to non-glibc configurations).
17 > >
18 > > What do people think?
19 >
20 > No opinion on which to choose, I use the default one at the time I do
21 > an install and have been happy with both.
22 >
23 > My main concern is that since the change won't be "live" until a
24 > switched virtual reaches stable, eudev will still be much better tested
25 > in our environment at this point, and people might uncover corner cases
26 > when it's too late. Maybe a compromise could be to provide and
27 > primarily advertise udev stages before making the switch ?
28
29 Creating udev stages would require a separate profile which would be
30 removed once we did the default switch, so I'm not sure if we want to go
31 that route. Does anyone remember if we did this for the original eudev
32 switch? If we did, I am open to doing it again, but I honestly don't recall.
33
34 All of the providers are stable currently, so my thought is a tracker +
35 newsitem with a delay before switching the default. I'm thinking about a
36 30 day test window where we ask people to migrate their systems and
37 if they find issues open bugs that block the tracker.
38
39 Thoughts?
40
41 William