From: Robert Moss <robmoss@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ebuild bumping policy wrt KEYWORDS
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 16:29:23
1 foser wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 22:09 -0400, Travis Tilley wrote:
3 >
4 >>if by bugged you mean versions that work?
7 > I think you mean 'versions that run with known bugs' ? Still bugged I'm
8 > afraid.
9
10 I think he means "the least buggy version on amd64." Doing a stable bump
11 to solve a huge bug whilst introducing a number of smaller ones is, I
12 think, acceptable, even if you're playing with the stable branch. This
13 is even detailed (albeit only briefly and suggestively rather than
14 explicitly) in the developer guidelines. Sometimes, QA has to slip by
15 the wayside in order to ensure that something isn't massively broken.
16 "Stable" does not mean "wait until all known bugs are solved" - it means
17 "least broken." Everything is broken to some extent.