From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: hasufell@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] markdown docs like README.md
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 20:06:17
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 19:49:33 +0200
5 hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
6
8 > Hash: SHA1
9 >
10 > I wonder if it would make any sense to take the effort to convert
11 > markdown docs to html format before installing them.
12
13 Converting them to HTML format is useful for people whom do not want
14 to use a Markdown viewer and would benefit from reading them in HTML
15 format, as opposed to text mangled with formatting constructs.
16
17 Do we want to cover this by an USE flag or apply the conversion for
18 every package based on a present implementation? What if someone
19 decides to switch between both? Do we want to keep the original
20 Markdown file installed as well or would we prune it after conversion?
21
22 > I see two possibilities:
23 >
24 > 1. Create one or two eutils functions like
25 > "domd": will go through all viable implementations like
26 > markdown/markdown_py/Markdown.pl, convert the file and dohtml it. Is
27 > no impelementation installed on the system it will fall back to plain
28 > dodoc.
29
30 Treating files as Markdown sounds like a good start.
31
32 > Optionally we could provide "md_depend" (like DEPEND="$(md_depend)")
33 > to ensure that at least one implementation is present (might be useful
34 > for very huge docs that are easier to read as html).
35
36 No idea if such construct is the right way; I generally don't like this
37 when other already implemented approaches exist, like using a virtual.
38
39 Why wouldn't a virtual suffice?
40
41 > 2. Introduce something like virtual/markdown... unfortunately the
42 > "markdown" name is already reserved by app-text/discount, so I don't
43 > really know how that would work out. And the supported arguments might
44 > differ...
45
46 A virtual for converters sounds better to me than $(md_depend); it
47 spares out making eutils more complex, having to inherit eutils and
48 having the dependencies where one would not expect them.
49
50 (Do we want a virtual for viewers too?)
51
52 > This is low priority, so if this is going to take more then little
53 > work, I'll probably lose interest.
54
55 It's a small change you want to see; it'll take little time if we go
56 for implementing just what is really necessary, the KISS principle.
57
58 - --
59 With kind regards,
60
61 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
62 Gentoo Developer
63
64 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
65 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
66 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D