From: "C. Brewer" <cbrewer@×××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo 1.4 final against rc's
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 06:44:50
1 I'd like to say I've always considered the version cat'd into
2 /etc/gentoo-release as the definitive version. Since packages change every
3 day, baselayout is certainly more rare in it's updates. Considering that,
4 and that fact that on a baselayout update most,if not sometimes all, of your
5 core configuration files are either altered or presented for trivial
6 updates, I consider this to be true versioning. I also believe that the rc
7 should be changed to prc (packaged release candidate) solely on the fact
8 that it is just basically a prepacked timesaver for the regular joe. The
9 ambitious have and will continue to either burn their own stage one-three or
10 get the tarballs and hack it together in their own fashion. I think the
11 change to prc would reflect the " this is the approved package set-up during
12 the 1.4 phase of baselayout " rather than the "oh no, a new version,we gotta
13 upgrade " paranoia.
14
15 Or I could be paranoid myself.....
20 Chuck Brewer