From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] splitting build deps out from depends
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 18:32:24
1 On Friday 01 July 2005 02:11 pm, Brian D. Harring wrote:
2 > Meanwhile, back to the "you want us to add what?", our dependency
3 > graph *is* incomplete.
4
5 so what ? i dont see it being a bug
6
7 > Something like 600 ebuilds in the tree state a
8 > dependency on gcc- we have 19000 ebuilds. Not all requires gcc to
9 > build, but I'd bet it's a tad bit more then 600.
10
11 and i continue to work day after day to make sure that 600 reaches 0 :p
12
13 considering your system requires a virtual/libc in order to boot, tell me
14 again why we must list it in every package which uses glibc ?
15
16 > Full dependency information hasn't be viable due to resolver issues,
17 > which will be fixed.
18
19 so why dont you come back once you have something that is supposed to work ?
20 you're proposing we start generating a ton of circular dependencies which we
21 arent even close to handling now
22
23 > Regarding the "require whatever is used to uncompress the source",
24 > hadn't thought about it, but that _should_ be specified imo. That's
25 > also being a bit anal, but frankly, if the resolver can handle it, why
26 > shouldn't we specify the full deps?
27
28 portage could be smart about it ... it can easily parse the contents of
29 SRC_URI and put tar into whatever DEPEND rather than forcing a stupid policy
30 of listing tar in thousands of ebuilds
31
32 > To head off the "profile has it, so we don't need it", consider a
33 > user profile, literally, a user desktop profile. Kde, gnome, office
34 > crap, etc. Right now, for such a profile you would need the toolchain
35 > tagged in, which I posit is invalid.
36
37 considering if you try to `emerge` something while under said profile and you
38 already removed binutils/gcc from the system, the emerge will fail ... the
39 reason why is pretty obvious
40 -mike
41 --
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list