From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Copyright issues (Was: udev-ng?)
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 17:13:12
1 On 19/11/2012 09:02, Greg KH wrote:
2 > I'm curious as to why this is? Didn't you learn about this in school
3 > (if you went to school for software development), or from any company
4 > you have worked for? At numerous companies I have worked for, it was
5 > part of the "introduction to company FOO, here's your legal training on
6 > what to do and not to do with regards to open source." _ANY_ company
7 > dealing with Linux should have this type of thing in place, otherwise,
8 > as I have found out first hand, it can get you in big trouble.
9
10 I can only speak for my personal experience, but that hasn't been the case.
11
12 Even though I didn't continue with my university in Italy, I don't
13 remember any copyright law course at least when I was supposed to be
14 there. And even though in high school I was studying as a programmer, we
15 only had very basic "law" classes in the first two years (common to
16 non-programmers) and none in the final three.
17
18 As for companies I worked for — no, not really. Actually at least at one
19 of them I was the one introducing them to the complexity of license
20 handling (with a final "you better call a lawyer up" note, for obvious
21 reasons).
22
23 So no, I'd venture to say that it's not as common as you seem to expect,
24 which yes, is appalling.
27 Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
28 flameeyes@×××××××××.eu — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/