From: Michael Cummings <mcummings@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Does anyone want|need a static (lib)perl still?
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 19:06:56
1 Just curious whether there is any value at continuing to offer a libperl
2 ebuild (which creates libperl.so for you) and then having perl
3 statically built against an internally generated libperl.a (substitute
4 your platforms appropriate names porters :) Traditionally we offered
5 both libperl's, and perl itself gets statically built against the static
6 library, but I'm just curious if anyone has a use for this still?
7 Maintaining the two isn't usually a problem, but it can lead to end-user
8 problems if one is upgraded and not the other (say during a security
9 update), as well as patch maintenance, etc., versus having a perl that
10 will work even when everything dynamic is dead. Just looking for
11 opinions, upstream's on the verge of releasing 5.8.8 so I figured now
12 was as good a time as any to gather opinions :)
13
14 ~mcummings