From: Steev Klimaszewski <steev@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Hosting daily gx86 squashfs images and deltas
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 07:36:06
1 On Sun, 2014-01-26 at 21:00 +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hi again.
3 >
4 > If someone is interested in the results of my tests and benchmarks,
5 > I've uploaded the initial version of my article on the topic in our
6 > dev-space.
7 >
8 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/tmp/squashfs-deltas.pdf
9 >
10 > I am terribly busy with the uni right now so it will take some time
11 > before I continue working on it. I will try to provide a final
12 > specification for the first attempt at the idea and ask infra if they
13 > are ready to sacrifice the hardware for it.
14 >
15 > Further possible improvements:
16 >
17 > 1. switch to LZ4 (stronger compression, even faster) -- will require
18 > a newer kernel (3.14?),
21 While the stronger compression, and being faster is definitely nice,
22 having portage on squashfs is really nice on ARM devices, however the
23 number of them that have a decently running kernel newer than 3.8 are
24 few and far between, so I'd like to ask that this be held off as long as
25 possible. I know these are just possible improvements, but doing so
26 would definitely alienate a really good place where this would shine.
27
28 > 2. dedicated SquashFS delta tool -- I'm working on it but
29 > the format seems to be poorly documented so it will take some time :).